photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Love it or Leave it: Stripes, Stripes, Stripes!

Former Microsoft executive, Jeff Sanderson and his wife, Lara recently commissioned Kelly Wearstler to decorate their Washington State home. In truly Kelly style, she decorated with unabashed gusto and moxie, creating glamorous, provocative moments throughout the home. You can see the entire house in the September issue of ELLE DECOR, but I was most struck by the fanciful foyer. The striped floor is met with a striped ceiling and some additional patternwork throughout the space. The brass light fixture and stair railing add even more drama and glamour to the room. It's fabulous, but it's definitely a lot of look. What are your thoughts? Do you love it or would you rather leave it? Is this the type of room you love looking at in a magazine, but couldn't see yourself living with or would you go for the gold and take a huge risk like this?

{Image Source: ELLE DECOR}

16 comments:

Tinacious Me said...

dizzying effect! I like it!
~Tinacious Me~

Tiffany B. said...

Love, LOve, LOVE!!!!

I did a post about my favorite striped rooms the other day. This one wins!

Bethany [at] Powell Brower Home said...

LOVEEEEEEEEEE IT :)

Shannon said...

Love stripes!! Can't ever have to many. Plus, this is such a gorgeous foyer so I love it!

www.dylandrake.blogspot.com

Dawna Jones Design said...

I too just recently did a post on stripes and I love them as well as the iconic Kelly Wearstler,but I have to admit it is just a bit overkill for me and the whole effect is lost with the stripes on the ceiling! Think the floor is to die for and who doesn't vote for a dramatic entrance!
http://www.dawnajonesdesign.com/

Meredith said...

I agree with Dawna, I'm so not into this house at all. I found it to be overly contrived and just plain ol' depressing. I used to be a big fan of KW's work but since she embraced the 70's 80's meets the Munsters I just can't excited about her work.

Unknown said...

I loved the golden details....

B.A.D I Blog About Design said...

What a fantastic room! The ceiling light fixture is amazing.

Jove Arthur said...

I would love to have stripes on my room but not too much. Maybe just choose a single area where to put it so it won't look like it was overdone.

gigi said...

love it! very different.

Sarah Hulbert Style said...

ADORE!!! I'm picturing posh white leather chairs and fluffy white fur pillows also being in this space. Thanks for posting! ~Sarah

Kristen said...

I'd love to have a stripped moment. Maybe in a guest bath or bedroom. Def not something I could live with forever in a main room like the family.

Unknown said...

I love the ceiling here. It is so much more creative and interesting than solid paint!

DD said...

Love the stripes! And although there are a lot of stripes going on, the fact that they are white and black keeps the look neutral enough to change up the look with different pieces whenever the mood strikes!

Anonymous said...

The ceiling fixture was restored by Doug French, of The Tinman, LLC. www.dtinman.com.

Unknown said...

This certainly is the type of hallway, I would expect a former Microsoft executive to display. It's fancy and stylish, trend but somewhat detatched. I don't see myself inhabiting such a setting... but, hey, I'm more country type of girl :)

Yours sincerely,

Margaret Swanton, Marketing Executive at Fantastic Cleaners Forest Hill