photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Thursday, September 23, 2010

The Style Files: Julie Richard

Foundation Show 2009  {Julie and her Sweet Son, Colby}

Julie Richard is an interior designer and she just so happens to be one of my favorite bloggers. There are so many blogs out there now that it has become rather difficult to keep up with them all on a regular basis. However, Julie’s blog, Shelter is one that I make sure to check regular. She has amazing taste and just about everything she posts really resonates with me. I hope that you’ll enjoy learning more about this incredibly talented designer and blogger!

julie2

Name: Julie Richard

Occupation: Interior Designer, Design Instructor, Blogger, Mommy

Hometown: Marshfield, Massachusetts

Current City: Salem, Massachusetts

julie shelter4

LDV: What inspired you to begin your career in interior design?

JR: I’m not sure I could pinpoint one pivotal moment but for as long as I can remember I have loved design. I’ve always been a visual person, as I child I would continually rearrange my bedroom and dream of different ways to recreate my space. I think my obsession with magazines began in high school. My Dad was often at his drawing table reworking house plans, so I’m sure his creativity and appreciation for proportions and architecture rubbed off on me. I began my career in fashion but followed my heart and went back to graduate school to study interior design in my late twenties. It’s one of the wisest decisions I’ve ever made.

julie shelter6

LDV:What do you love most about it? What is the most challenging aspect?

JR: I love the creative process, devising the vision, and the transformation of turning ideas into reality. The most challenging part is managing all the small details. It’s insane how on top of EVERY aspect you need to be! Designers need to anticipate what can go wrong. It can be stressful, but I’m thrilled to have my own design firm!

julie shelter2

LDV: Where do you find inspiration?

JR: Everywhere. At museums, the theatre, films, while traveling, in magazines and on blogs, from past design greats, fashion, my students, and nature. I’m constantly cataloging ideas.

julie yabupushelbergcommercialwork

{Commercial Work by Yabu-Pushelberg}

LDV: Who are some of your personal style icons?

JR: Legendary Icons: Albert Hadley, Frances Elkins, Billy Baldwin, David Hicks, Syrie Maugham. Current Icons: Kelly Wearstler – for her drama and use of color, Billy Bilhuber – for his dynamic floor plans, Miles Redd, Ruthie Sommers, Tom Scheerer and Yabu-Pushelberg – Commercial work. Fashion – Jackie O, Babe Paley, Grace Kelly, Gwyneth Paltrow, Phoebe Philo, Tory Burch and Jenna Lyons.

julie Terry Richardson Raquel Zimmerman7

LDV: How would you describe your own style?

JR: For fashion and interiors I love the idea of relaxed luxury. My style is layered, and livable with a mix of classic, modern, and vintage elements. I often can’t resist adding a hint of glamour.

julie shelter5

LDV: What is the trait you most admire in a person?

JR: Honesty.

bar julie shelter

LDV: What is your principal weakness?

JR: Indecision, but only personally, I’m quite the opposite with client ideas and projects.

julie shelter3

LDV: What is the best piece of advice you have ever received?

JR: Go with your gut, it usually never steers you wrong.

Foundation Show 2009

LDV: What do you consider your greatest achievement?

JR: My beautiful children, and receiving my Master’s Degree in Interior Design, It was an intense four years.

bar julie shelter2

LDV: What is your idea of living “la dolce vita”?

JR: A warm sunny day spent beachside with my family, friends, yummy food, music and frosty drinks!

 

julie

julie ranunculus

Bloom: Ranunculus

Food: French Bistro

Drink: Sans-alcoholic – super cold Pellegrino with a lemon, Alcoholic - a straight-up margarita made with El Tesoro tequila and a salted rim

Thing to Wear: blazers, jeans and a mix of vintage and new jewelry

julie cafe

Destination: Anywhere in Europe

Season: Summer and Fall

Meal: Relaxed, candle lit dinner with friends and family

Musician: I love music so I could never settle on one artist. Here are a few favorites: Stan Getz/Gilberto, Etta James, Marvin Gaye, Duffy, John Mayer, Shiny Toy Guns.

 julie elisemorris

{A Beautiful Painting by Elise Morris}

Artist: Elise Morris – she just finished up a commission for a client. We are actually installing it tomorrow; her work is amazing in person. Roberto Dutesco’s wild horse exhibit and the color studies of Rothko, Jasper Jones

Film: There are so many great movies. I loved Slum Dog Millionaire

Television Show: Mad Men

Book: Kite Runner by Kahled Hosseini

julie design-idea-magazine-stack

Magazines: are my weakness! Elle Décor, House Beautiful, Lonny, Past issues of Domino {I’ve kept every issue}, Harper’s Bazaar, Vanity Fair, Martha Stewart Living – for cooking and entertaining inspiration.

Blogs: La Dolce Vita, Habitually Chic, Coco and Kelley, Elements of Style, Apartment #34, Dust Jacket Attic, and Pink Wallpaper to name a few

julie RachelPapoviaHappyDayBlog1

Color: I don’t seem to tire of rich chocolate, and since I had my daughter last January I’ve loved pretty much all shades of pink.

Texture: Nubby Linen

Fabric or Pattern: I love pattern so this is a tough one! Quadrille’s China Seas and Alan Campbell lines never disappoint me. I also like Lulu Dk’s sense of style and creativity; she is currently introducing a slew of new fabrics to her line!

 

julie MarcJacobsPear

Scent: The fresh, evolving scents from Marc Jacobs

Extravagance: Right now, with two young children; a peaceful dinner followed by a warm bath and a good night’s sleep would be a welcome change.

Quote: “The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.” – Eleanor Roosevelt. I have this one pinned to my inspiration board.

15 comments:

And So I Whisper said...

What a beautiful place. Love the room with the zebra rug and striped walls. A great combination of colors and textures.

Nikki said...

Is that blue striped room a nursery? Hmm...maybe I'll have a baby after all ;)

Unknown said...

Nikki, yes it is! Is it not the chicest nursery you've ever seen? I die over that lucite stool.

StylishBird said...

I love her answers! She seems like a very talented woman...and her house is adorable!

xx Amanda

Juile said...

Thanks for the kind words Paloma!!

xx,
Julie
Shelter Interior Design

Erica Cook said...

Oh I love Julie... What a great surprise to see her here on your lovely blog. Lovely Post! xo e

Carpe Diem said...

I can see why her style resonates with you. Gorgeous contemporary design!

kelleyp said...

i love the shelter blog. seriously one of the best. also she is so kind. i have personally emailed her requesting her favorite colors and she responded. to me that is huge!
also for the flor giveaway i would say i would die to win the "more rockin' rug". so glad you turned me on to the new patterns they are offering.

Unknown said...

Completely fantastic post!!!
xo Elizabeth

That Girl in Pearls said...

Oh, I have seen a few shots of her home before... so FIERCE! This is a fabulous interview I am Loving seeing more of her work.

Hope you're doing wonderful,
B.

Leah said...

I love that white mirror in the first pic! So gorgeous!

Luvs!

LindsB said...

Love Julie and her blog- she has a style that is everything I love! And that nursery, it is crazy beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Julie has a great sense of style... her home is gorgeous! Great interview.

Caitlin said...

I've admired Julie's work for so long. I love how I can get to know different designers through this series I love it! Keep it up Paloma.

jonalynn said...

Thanks for introducing me to Julie's blog and her amazing style!